- Inform your mover if they will have to reserve parking, i.e. Residential Parking Zone, Parking Meters, Single or Double Yellow Line, etc.
- The Parking authorities require notice this can take between 7 and 15 days depending on the area and the authority. This can incur additional costs
- Contact utility companies to advise your moving date
- Place signs such as Moving`, Store`, Do Not Pack` and Last On`
- Set aside a sanctuary spot where all items that you wish to carry, such as passport, documents, credit cards and that favourite teddy!
- Collect clothes from cleaners
- De-frost & clean freezer
- Ensure all outside items are free from soil and green growth, especially bicycles, patio furniture, garden tools
- If selling a motor vehicle, advise DVLA and motor insurance broker and obtain refund for tax disc, if valid
- If moving from a rented property, arrange check out with agent
One week before moving
- At this stage of the move, it is an idea to bear the following in mind
- Drain the fuel (not oil) from lawnmowers and other power equipment
- Arrange for mail to be forwarded
- Return all items that are on loan
- Ask for the final bill from your newsagent and milkman
The day before moving
- The day before the move, we suggest you do the following:
- Separate and label things you want to travel with you i.e. medicines, valuables, jewellery, passports and clothing
- If selling the car in UK set aside the registration document to be given to the purchaser
- Defrost the fridge
- Disconnect the washing machine, dryer and dishwasher
- Make a list of the things you want packed last and consequently unpacked first i.e. toys, beds, crockery
- Separate items for storage, air, sea
- Make clear what items must not be packed` see Carry with me` Checklist
- Set aside booklets, remotes etc that belong to the house so that they are not packed
- Arrange to be home when the movers arrive or if this is not possible, ask a friend or relative to act on your behalf.
- When the crew arrive, accompany the foreman on a tour of your home to indicate the items that will be moved. Point out the items of special concern as well as items that are not to be moved. If these are already clearly marked, you simply have to advise him/her of the system you have used.
- Keep a copy of the signed inventory and all customs documentation close to hand
- After loading, but before the driver leaves, make a final tour of your home to make sure nothing has been overlooked, omitted or missed
- Finally, smile and relax and have a safe trip to your new home!
© 2007 of Re:locate magazine, published by Profile Locations, Spray Hill, Hastings Road, Lamberhurst, Kent TN3 8JB. All rights reserved. This publication (or any part thereof) may not be reproduced in any form without the prior written permission of Profile Locations. Profile Locations accepts no liability for the accuracy of the contents or any opinions expressed herein.